Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Google Bookmark on Safari


I like Google bookmark since everywhere I go I get to access my bookmarks. That way I can go to my previously bookmarked page and read it at my convenience. In Safari accessing my bookmarks is not hard. Basically I just go to http://bookmarks.google.com, log in and i'll be presented with my list. However, adding an item into my bookmark is another story. The long way is to go to Google's bookmark page and clicking the Add bookmark link. But this is to tedious since you have to provide the title and the URL of the page you want to bookmark.

Fortunately, there is a way. I had this in my Safari for a long time now (frankly, I can't remember where I got it in the first place) and only came to realize how valuable it is when I needed to add this function on a different Mac. I have searched and I have googled but I can't find a way to add Google Toolbar on Safari to ease the task of adding a bookmark nor adding just only the bookmark function. Thus I am sharing this for those who might need it.

Let's start.



1. Start Safari
2. Click Bookmarks --> Add Bookmark…
3. Type "Google Bookmark" or other label the you deemed more appropriate
4. For the location, select "Bookmarks Bar" from the drop-down list
5. Click Add button
6. Going back to the menu, click Bookmarks (again) then Show All Bookmarks
7. Select "Bookmarks Bar" in the left pane
8. Locate the bookmark item you just recently added
9. Click it then click (again) this time aiming at the address column to put it in edit mode
10. Replace the value of the address with the following (note that this is just one line)

javascript:(function(){var%20a=window,b=document,c=encodeURIComponent,d=a.open(%22https://www.google.com/bookmarks/mark?op=edit&output=popup&bkmk=%22+c(b.location)+%22&title=%22+c(b.title),%22bkmk_popup%22,%22left=%22+((a.screenX||a.screenLeft)+10)+%22,top=%22+((a.screenY||a.screenTop)+10)+%22,height=510px,width=550px,resizable=1,alwaysRaised=1%22);a.setTimeout(function(){d.focus()},300)})();

11. Press return button to save the new address value.


If you typed in the correct address this should give you the convenience of adding the current page to you Google bookmark by just clicking the bookmark item you've just created.

No comments:

Post a Comment